13 Dic Interview with Ellen Van Loy
Today, we have the honor to have with us, one of the best cx rider on women elite cathegory, she is Ellen, Ellen Van Loy
– Ellen, tell us, how did you started riding bike?
14 years ago, I met my boyfriend Tom; he had a bike. He convinced me to also buy one. After a few hollidays in Austria and Italy, I started riding a bike more and more. At first, just for fun. Now, so much years later, it became a passion. Since 7 years I do competition. First on the road, later on, also cyclocross.
– Which was your first team?
My first team was Emversport, a small, local team but we had a lot of fun. We went to mount Ventoux on trainingcamp. There allways was a good atmosphere.
– You have won many races in your career. Which of all, do you remember specially?
I won an off-season race in Canada; it’s a combination of road and cyclocross for 70km. A good friend and I were invited by the organisation and we were welcomed as big heros. It was a fantastic moment to cross the line first! We met a lot of nice people and probably we return this year for the 3rd time. The race is called ‘Paris to Ancaster’ or P2A
– Why do you think that in Belgium, all of you have a higher level that here, in Spain?
Definitely Belgium is the cross-land eminence. A lot of races, tuff circumstances, bad weather,..A lot of foreigners live or stay in Belgium during cross season. I also race most of the time in Belgium. I don’t see why I travel far when races are nearby. Racing a lot makes you stronger at the end I think.
– When you have been training, I think that you have met many times with Sven, Meussen, Niels Albert,… what is the feeling when you are riding with the Cx stars?
Unfortunately I almost train on my own; but that’s okay and my choice. But cyclocross world is small; when I pass these ‘big stars’, they allways say hello!
-Could be possible to see you on the podium in the next Word Championhip?
I don’t think Zolder is a good circuit for me. I like the race, but there are a lot of fast sections. And a lot of girls will be very fast that day! I prefer more muddy, slower races.
– You have a lot of seasons to ride in the future, but have you thought what to do when you give up cx?
I probably stay warm inside on a Sunday afternoon. I already have an option in my mind. My husband and I will buy a motor cycle. So it stays on 2 wheels but not that intensive anymore, haha
– In Spain we don’t have many girls riding. What can you tell to spanish girls to start riding cx?
Definitely get on a bike. Road racing is okay but cx is such more spectacular. And if they can come over to Belgium; they gonna love the crowds and all the rest of the cx-circus.
– I don’t know if you have childs. If you have them, would you like them to be cyclist like you?
I don’t have children. Not yet? Who knows?
– Which is your objective in this cx season? And for the next season on the road?
I just want ride a good season; i don’t peak to a special race. I hope I stay healthy. Probably good results come automatic. Of course,I want good results and hopefully a few wins!
On the road I don’t have any expactations. Road racing is a good preparation to a new winter season. I race active, so maybe podiums will come close this summer.
– How do you train for being such a good rider on the mud and on the road?
I train as much and as hard as I think I have to train. My age makes me take more rest after training. But this combination works for me! I have a training area were I go each week. I feel good and feel a big difference between begin season and now. I switch my limits every week. I do a lot of different trainings, it makes it varied and less boring.
– Could be possible to see you winning races this season in cx? I think that you are very strong.
Thank you! I hope you are right.
– Do you think that women cx has to be better than it is now?
From this season, women’s races are live on TV; I feel a big difference. More spectators, more interest of people, and hopefully for a lot of girls, more oppurtunities and chances to become good riders. Maybe this is a good start to close the gap between men and women on all parts.
– Finally, you can write here whatever you want, about whatever you want, to whoever you want,…
I’m happy to be part of the cyclocross-world. It is the best choice I ever made. I hope a could ride a few more years. I worked hard to achieve this level and you never know which big win will be mine one day!!
Thank you, from deepest of my heart.